SCE Logo Large Color

Services for Residents

The Summit County Engineer's office provides many public services from providing citizens maps to maintaining the High Level Bridge. 


As a service to Summit County citizens, the Summit County Engineer's office will mail you a copy of the Summit County Map at no charge. Large requests (of 25 or more) must be made and picked up in person at the Main Office (538 East South Street, Akron). Some exceptions are made for government and charitable groups - please contact our office at (330) 643-2860. You can order a Summit County Map on our Contact Us page. 


We provide and maintain records for roads, land surveys, bridges, and drainage ditches. Our road records go as far back as the 1840s! If you would like to request hard copies of these documents, please see our price list page


  1. Road records for all county and township roads from 1840 to present
  2. Road plans for all county and township roads from 1909 to present
  3. Road dedication plats
  4. Records of all work performed by county survey crews from 1909 to present
  5. Subdivision lot splits from 1980 to present
  6. Allotment plats from 1960 to present and improvement plans from 1983 to present
  7. Ditch and drainage records from 1872 to 1966


  1. Summit County Highway map from 1934 to present
  2. Official county highway maps 1924 to present
  3. Township maps: original surveys, township road maps
  4. Bridge and culvert maps, annexation maps
  5. Maps from all of Ohio's 88 counties

Driveway Permits

Driveway permits, also known as roadway opening permits, are required for any work being done in the County right-of-way. Download the form below, fill out, and mail to Summit County Engineer, Attn: Permits Coordinator, 538 East South Street, Akron, OH 44311 or email to If you have any questions, please call 330-643-8711. 

Who to Contact

We included a "Who to Contact" document in frequently asked questions. This may help direct your questions to the correct agency. Please see the rest of our frequently asked questions for answers about surveying your property, what to do when new development is adding stormwater to your property, and more.