Frequently Asked Questions

Whom do I contact about a pothole or other roadway defects?

Potholes are holes in the roadway that vary in size and shape. They are caused by the expansion and contraction of ground water after the water has entered into the ground under the pavement. When water freezes, it expands.

To report a pothole or roadway defect in Summit County, call the Summit County Engineer's Public Services Department at (330) 643-2860.The office is open Monday - Friday, 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.  We also have a 24/7 reporting system to gather information reports of roadway problems.

To ensure that the repairs you are requesting are handled in a timely and efficient manner, please have the following information available at the time of your call:

  • Your name. (Optional)
  • Your address and daytime phone number. (It is important that you provide a contact number in the event more information is needed.)
  • The location of the pothole, including the nearest cross street and/or address.
  • A description of the problem. (There are other types of road defects that may appear as a pothole, but may require more intensive repairs.)
  • Any other pertinent information that may need to be relayed to the crews about the area or the problem.

After we have received notification of a pothole, one of our maintenance foremen will schedule a site visit to determine the size and priority of the problem area so the properly sized and properly equipped work crew can be scheduled to make the needed repairs. It is the Summit County Engineer's goal to have every pothole complaint reviewed by the next work day and to have the repairs scheduled as soon as possible.

View All FAQs